Monday, May 30, 2011

Who do they think they are, Kim Jong IL?

As soon as Kristen told us what the blog prompt for this week was, my mind immediately settled on an article that I had read in the past. 


http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/mean-girl-fashion-and-beauty-rules-at-cornell-sorority-no-mustaches-or-muffin-tops-636982


This article is about the Pi Beta Phi chapter at Cornell University and their strict dress code during recruitment. Now, we all have dress codes during formal recruitment, but I doubt any are as rude or censoring as this dress code. I have always had a major bone to pick with Greek life. I am someone who is all about being unique and doing what you want regardless of what other people are going to think. Now I don't mean like if you want to rob a bank or run around Thompson naked that you should do things like that, but I do mean that you should be true to yourself. 


If there is ever a time I say something or do something not completely normal (a bought of random, embarrassing dancing in public perhaps), and someone says something to me along the lines of "thank god you're not wearing our letters right now," I immediately want to slap them. I do not like when people try to censor me, and I especially do not want to be a part of something that would try to hold me back from being who I truly am. 


That is why this article really struck a nerve with me and was something that I wanted to share my thoughts on. Now, let me just say that I completely agree with and understand that the whole point of recruitment is to get people to want to join your chapter. Obviously, if you look hideous and unkempt then this is going to be very difficult for you. I am all for making sure everyone looks nice but when people are over the top and super unreasonable with their fashion demands (such as only being allowed to wear certain designers like this article touches on), then I see a serious problem with that. This article definitely falls within a stereotype many have of the Greek community (snobbery among others) that I think we want to abolish.


My personal favorite line from the article is "Pi Phi members should not wear satin unless they weigh under 130 pounds or the piece is from Dolce & Gabbana or Betsey Johnson (Ed note: Betsey Johnson as the epitome of class? Ha-ha-ha!)." 


Completely ridiculous and offensive or is it just me? 


Now, in terms of other things that happen within greek communities, this may not seem that bad. However, this is a class about fighting off stereotypes and highlighting the truly good aspects of our community. The following are some comments made in response to the article" 


"Sounds like a bunch of snobby beyatches if ya ask me!"
and
"I was never in a sorority. They all seemed too snobby/cutsy for me. I was a GDI."


So, while this may not be the worst thing for us, it definitely does not make us look good. 

1 comment:

  1. WOW. This is ridiculous!! Haha, I can't help but think that if something like this was proposed to a lot of chapters, there would be a revolt!! Seriously, though, if this is what these girls do for one isolated event, I hate to think of the control they exert over their members for everything...

    ReplyDelete