Monday, April 18, 2011

Greek Life in the Media !

Okay, so forget the video I mentioned in my last post...I am over it already.

However, let's discuss this...



 Greek Life and the Media. I feel like academics are always talking about the media and its impact on society, on the beliefs that individuals hold in general. Usually, I get annoyed by this topic being brought up because I feel that it is widely known that the media negatively influences opinions and goes beyond simply creating biases. Sometimes, the media straight up lies. I am annoyed by the fact that every class I have ever taken touches on that but when it comes to this, to how Greek Life is portrayed in the media, well let's just say I am a little more inclined to want to fix it.

Although not my original intention, this video actually flows quite well into the second blog assignment regarding my personal values. While sitting in class the other day reviewing the Social Change Model, I could not help but think about how much I liked the part about individuality. I realized the individuality is really something that I value.

I am sure you are all tired of hearing "Be Yourself" by now but it is truly something I wish everyone could live by. To me, this goes hand in hand with self-confidence. Without self-confidence, you probably don't have the ability to be yourself. I find that self-confidence is also something of great value to me. Regardless of what anyone says, high school is in some way tough for everyone. If you can make it through your years of teenage angst with a sense of self and an established identity then I'd consider that a success.

I understand that it takes some longer than others to establish an "identity" for themselves. However, this identity needs to be something we craft for ourselves, not something we craft for others. An identity should not be shaped based on what certain people will respond to, but something that expresses each of us individually. If you are trying to be someone you are not just because you want to impress a certain group of people then you will not only lose your integrity, but other people will lose respect for you.

This brings me back to the video that I posted. Clearly, The Onion is making fun of Greek Life and sororities in particular by stating that all sorority girls are the same. We all know, based on our diverse community, that this is not true. If we all keep up our individual identities and refrain from falling victim to the stereotype once we enter into Greek Life, maybe that stereotype with disappear. I mean, it's the media so I will not keep my hopes up but what else can you do, ya know?

No comments:

Post a Comment