Tuesday, April 26, 2011

DUNKIN DONUTS LIKES AMERICA

When reading Tyler's email about this Blogging Prompt, my mind immediately went to company slogans. Then it went, naturally, to my all time favorite company...Dunkin Donuts obviously!!!!!! Which reminds me, Columbus needs some more of those.

Dunkin's slogan is "America Runs on Dunkin." To me, this slogan is not just a marketing ploy, it's not just an association the company hopes you will make, it's a play to your unconscious patriotic side. Here, Dunkin Donuts is telling the American people that they value them. After all, you are supposed to value your customers, right? And who doesn't love being appreciated? I also love the pictures they put on the cup  to go along with each word of the slogan but that's neither here nor there.

More seriously, Dunkin Donuts is trying to make the statement that it is what gets Americans up and going every morning so that they can get to work and we all know how much Americans value a hard day's work. Clearly drinking anything other than Dunkin Donuts is just straight up unpatriotic! No but really, Dunkin Donuts is displaying that it works to provide its customers with the energy to get up every morning and do what they do best, with the energy to be productive members of society. In essence, Dunkin is showing not only that it values its customers (that it is here for us, providing us with what we need rather than, you know, trying to exploit us and take our money) but that it also values what we as Americans value. For example, this idea of a hard day's work and the idea that we all need to get up and do something for society. Perhaps a sociologist came up with this slogan for Dunkin Donuts.

Rereading this, I realize that it looks like I am in no way serious and that this whole Dunkin Donuts and America thing is a stretch. To address the first issue (my lack of seriousness), that's just how I am and I do in fact think that the geniuses behind "America Runs on Dunkin" wrote it with the hopes that Americans would feel a connection with this company because most Americans have a lot of pride! To address the second issue, I think that many times things (here, company slogans) that appeal to us without us making an immediate connection as to why. I have always loved the slogan because I thought that it was catchy and the pictures are cool but after this reflection, I think it is smart that the company is saying that they value their customers and their country. It's much better than Starbucks' naked mermaid woman which tells me nothing about their company values other than that they like mythical sea creatures.

This has lead me to make a very important conclusion: DUNKIN DONUTS LOVES AMERICA AND DRINKING STARBUCKS IS PLAIN AND SIMPLE UNAMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





Signing off, 

Nicole 

No comments:

Post a Comment